Educational Initiative Policy for
Newfoundland & Labrador Families
Purpose of Initiative:
- Whereas the publicly funded educational system for the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) has been replaced by the public sector
- Whereas the mission of the Church in NL is to provide a Christian Education option to the families of the church,
- Whereas most of our churches do not have the resources to have their own schools
- Whereas many of our members would like a Christian Education option without needing to move from the Province
- Whereas some church members would appreciate adding a Bible course to the curriculum of their children attending public schools
Therefore the Board of Directors of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in NL is committed to respond to this need with the following supporting policy:
1. Support Christian Education through the avenues of Home, K-12, & College using: Home Schooling, Correspondence Courses, Distance Learning, High School & College
2. The Subsidy for Home Schooling, Correspondence and Distance Learning will be up to 30% of the cost of required books, tuition or required electronic equipment to a maximum $1,000/grade/yr./student,
3. To support High School and College students with a matching subsidy from the local church of up to $1,000/yr.,
4. To provide a scholarship of $1,000/yr to each NL student, Adventist or non-Adventist attending an Adventist school,
5. To pay 30% of the Tuition and material costs of taking an Adventist Bible course/yr to each Adventist student attending public school up to a maximum of $500,
6. To support full time NL students attending Adventist schools with this policy regardless of grade level or age,
7. To provide summer employment for High School and College students attending or planning to attend an Adventist school who apply and are accepted for at least two weeks of summer work.( Woody Acres/ other possible programs),
8. To expect that each student will include a Bible course during their academic year,
9. To expect the student will complete their courses each year as there will be no repeat subsidies for incomplete work of previous years.
10. To participate in this policy an application needs to be submitted either by the student or family and be accepted by ADCOM (NL Administrative Committee).
11. Amount of funding and availability of finances are subject to the resources made available in the yearly budget of the NL Mission.
The members of the Board of Directors of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in NL desire to support each parent and student who desires a Christian Education and prays this Educational policy will be an encouragement to the families of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Voted May 27, 2012
We become inspired to care for others because our lives have been enriched by the love, joy, peace, acceptance, and forgiveness of God. We believe that every member is a Minister and through discovering, developing, and utilizing our spiritual gifts God’s family will grow.Contact