to the offices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Newfoundland and Labrador.
We are located in Eastern Canada, a very special corner in God’s World. This site contains information about the personnel and activities of the Head Office, church activities throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, and links to helpful resources.
History – Beginnings of the work. The Seventh-day Adventist faith was first brought to Newfoundland in 1893 by two lay missionaries from Battle Creek, Michigan – E.A. Parker, colporteur, and L.T. Ayres, schoolteacher – and their wives. The first woman convert was Mrs. Anna Pippy, the wife of a St. John’s businessman, with whom Mrs. Ayres had become acquainted on board the vessel en route to Newfoundland. Edward Butler was the first male convert. When, because of his refusal to work on the Sabbath, he was dismissed from his position as checker of ship’s cargo at Harvey’s Wharf, he became a self-supporting lay worker, continuing in this service until his death in 1950. His son, George, was a minister in denominational work for 42 years in Canada, Australia, and the United States. Read More